The Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH), better known as Cal/OSHA, protects and improves the health and safety of working men and women in California and the safety of passengers riding on elevators, amusement rides, and tramways – through the following activities:
- Setting and enforcing standards
- Providing outreach, education, and assistance
- Issuing permits, licenses, certifications,
registrations, and approvals
California administers the largest state OSHA plan in the nation and consistently exceeds its inspection goals to protect millions of workers each year. Here is the latest data from the 2019 federal fiscal year on how Cal/OSHA compares:
- Cal/OSHA conducted the most inspections in the nation (7,571 inspections exceeds the goal of 7,540).
- Cal/OSHA cited 18,896 hazards and created safer working conditions for at least 8.4 million employees.
- Enforcement and outreach activities contributed to a 2018 fatality rate lower than the national rate (2.3 versus the national rate of 3.5 per 100,000 full-time workers).
Cal/OSHA is issuing citations to employers for violations related to protecting workers from COVID-19. All of the citations are available on our webpage.
View COVID-19 outbreak data that is collected and reported by the California Department of Public Health as required by AB 685.
- Required for employers:
- Consultation Services and Partnership Programs
- Permits, registrations, certifications & licenses
- Payments—invoices and penalties
- Develop an injury & illness prevention program
- Appeal a Cal/OSHA enforcement action
- Develop a heat illness prevention plan
- More for Employers
Featured Safety Programs
Cal/OSHA Consultation Services
Cal/OSHA provides free safety and health assistance to employers, with the goal of preventing occupational injuries and illnesses. A variety of services are available, such as:
- On-site visits
- Partnership programs
- Telephone support
- Educational Outreach
- High Hazard Employer Program
- Educational materials
The Occupational Safety & Health Standards Board maintains an index to all Cal/OSHA regulations.
|April 28, 2021||DIR and Cal/OSHA Honor Workers’ Memorial Day|
|April 22, 2021||Cal/OSHA Cites Sierra Pacific Industries $108,300 after Fatal Pressure Vessel Incident|
|March 2, 2021||Cal/OSHA Issues Citations to Multiple Employers for COVID-19 Violations|
|February 4, 2021||Cal/OSHA Issues Citations to Multiple Employers for COVID-19 Violations|
|January 26, 2021||Cal/OSHA Reminder to Employers: Post 2020 Annual Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses on February 1|
- CDPH COVID-19 Outbreak Data
- Federal OSHA
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- Occupational Safety & Health Appeals Board
- Occupational Safety & Health Standards Board
- OSHA Training Institute Education Centers in California
- Hazard Evaluation System and Information Service resources
- Pesticide safety resources for workers and employers