I Want to Have a Safer and Healthier Workplace What supplies do I need to provide to prevent the spread of the virus?
- What new COVID-19 laws should I be aware of?
- What safe and healthful work practices are required?
- What supplies do I need to provide to prevent the spread of the virus?
- What information must I provide my employees regarding COVID-19?
- What steps do I need to take to reopen safely?
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, California law requires employers to provide face coverings and ensure they are used by workers properly when indoors and when they are less than six feet from others when outdoors. Employers must provide face coverings for workers or reimburse them for the reasonable costs of obtaining them. Wearing a face covering correctly means it:
- Is put on with freshly washed hands.
- Covers your nose and mouth, goes under your chin, and fits snugly against the sides of your face.
- Is washed between uses (if cloth) or replaced.
Wearing a cloth face covering does not take the place of physical distancing or frequent handwashing. It is effective when combined with maintaining at least six feet of physical distance from others.
Other Personal Protective Equipment
Employers are required to evaluate the need for personal protective equipment (PPE) to prevent exposure to COVID-19. What PPE you must provide will depend on your employees' risk of exposure.
Your written plan on preventing workplace safety and health hazards must include training on any personal protective equipment.
Examples of PPE include:
- Face shields
All types of PPE must be:
- Selected based upon the hazard to the worker.
- Properly worn when required.
- Regularly inspected, maintained and replaced, as necessary.
- Properly removed, cleaned, and stored or disposed of to avoid contamination of self, others, or the environment.