DWC Physician Education
Welcome to DWC’s online Physician Education Courses. See below for our current offerings on the use of the Medical Treatment Utilization Schedule (MTUS) as well as tips for Qualified Medical Evaluators (QME). Our courses provide continuing education credits for physicians, QMEs, chiropractors, and nurses.
Additional modules are under development and will be added to this website.
"Evaluating California’s Injured Workers: Qualified Medical Evaluators (QME)" is the second in a planned series of educational modules. This course is developed for current QMEs, those who are interested in becoming a QME, or to anyone interested in the QME process. QMEs play a critical role in resolving disputes within the workers’ compensation system.
You will learn:
- How to prepare for an evaluation and outline the components of a quality report
- How to properly identify and apply the complexity factors in the medical-legal fee schedule
- Administrative regulations to stay in compliance as a QME
This online one-hour course is open to the public and may also be useful for attorneys, claims administrators, and medical providers participating in the California workers’ compensation system.
Physicians treating in the California workers' compensation system are required to follow the evidence-based recommendations in the DWC medical treatment utilization schedule (MTUS). The online course below provides helpful instruction.
You will learn:
- What the MTUS is and how to use it
- How to navigate the MTUS treatment guidelines and apply recommendations via case scenarios
- When to consider recommendations outside of the MTUS guidelines for the care of your patient
- The role of utilization review (UR) and independent medical review (IMR) physicians
This online one-hour course is for treating physicians, qualified medical examiners, physician reviewers, other health care providers, as well as anyone else interested in learning how to use the MTUS.
Notice: To register for and access the online physician training modules, you must follow one of the links above. You will then be re-directed to an external site.
For technical assistance on these modules, please contact CADWC Support.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Institute for Medical Quality / California Medical Association (IMQ/CMA) through the joint providership of The Center for Occupational and Environmental Health (COEH) and State of California Department of Industrial Relations Division of Workers' Compensation. The Center for Occupational and Environmental Health is accredited by the IMQ/CMA to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
* The Center for Occupational and Environmental Health (COEH) designates this online training module for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. 1 hour CE also available for DCs. QMEs may report up to 1 hour of credit for QME reappointment.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 12983, for 1 contact hour.