Tree Work Safety
What is Tree Work?
Tree work includes trimming, pruning, felling, and removing trees and bushes. It can involve climbing trees, using portable ladders, aerial devices, working at heights while using power tools, working near energized overhead or downed power lines, feeding wood chippers, and other hazardous operations.
What Are Common Hazards of Tree Work?
- Electrical shock
- Being struck by a tree branch
- Being struck by falling objects
- Chainsaw lacerations
- Palm tree skirt collapses
- Ladder accidents
- Wood chipper accidents
- Poisonous plants
- Bees and other harmful animals
- Heat stress
Department of Public Health Resources
- Preventing fatal suffocation from collapsing palm tree fronds
- Preventing death caused by being thrown against a wood chipper
How to reach Cal/OSHA
If you have questions or need assistance with tree work safety, contact Cal/OSHA's Consultation Services Branch. Statewide toll-free number: (800) 963-9424.