This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov
. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at https://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html
Subchapter 4. Construction Safety Orders
Article 37. Confined Spaces in Construction (Refs & Annos)
Return to index
§ 1957. Duties of Authorized Entrants.
(a) The entry employer shall ensure that all authorized entrants:
(1) Are familiar with and understand the hazards that may be faced during entry, including information on the mode, signs or symptoms, and consequences of the exposure;
(2) Properly use equipment as required by Section 1953(a)(4);
(3) Communicate with the attendant as necessary to enable the attendant to assess entrant status and to enable the attendant to alert entrants of the need to evacuate the space as required by Section 1958(a)(6);
(4) Alert the attendant whenever:
(A) There is any warning sign or symptom of exposure to a dangerous situation; or
(B) The entrant detects a prohibited condition; and
(5) Exit from the permit space as quickly as possible whenever:
(A) An order to evacuate is given by the attendant or the entry supervisor;
(B) There is any warning sign or symptom of exposure to a dangerous situation;
(C) The entrant detects a prohibited condition; or
(D) An evacuation alarm is activated.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 12-30-2015; operative 12-30-2015. Exempt from OAL review pursuant to Labor Code section 142.3(a)(3). Submitted to OAL for filing and printing only (Register 2016, No. 1).
Go Back to Article 37 Table of Contents